Need an instant guest bedroom? Get a sofa bed – naturally. Don’t be deterred by the bad reputation endured by the sofa beds of days gone by. Nowadays, most sofa beds are very comfy, cozy and easy on the eyes.
If you’re searching for the most comfortable sofa bed, we are here to help. After examining an extensive range of sofa beds and after “lying down on the job,” we have whittled the field down to the top 10. We also included detailed reviews of the top 3 and some useful information on sofa bed selection to guide you in your choice.
What Types of Sofa Beds Are out There?
Sofa beds come in a wide variety of colors and styles meant to match every décor and budget. Here are a few of the sofa bed styles you will come across.
- Traditional Pull-Out. Typically made with a larger sized mattress (full and queen), these sofa beds are designed to be sofa first and bed second. They generally offer a better sleeping experience than most other sofa beds but tend to be at the pricier end of the sofa bed spectrum.
- Futon. Lightweight, movable and easy to fold out – those are features that make a futon a popular sofa bed choice. They can fall short in the comfort department, but they make up for it in terms of affordability.
- Daybed. These are built more like a bed than a sofa because that’s how they’re meant to be used. Most often, you will find them in a standard twin or full bed size.
- Bi-Fold or Tri-Fold. The bi-fold usually comes with a thicker mattress and having one less fold really does make a big difference in terms of comfort.
Top 10 Comfortable Sofa Beds Chart
|1. Milliard Tri-Fold Foam Folding Mattress and Sofa Bed for Guests or Floor Mat||Twin XL Queen||$$||4.5|
|2. DHP Tokyo Twin Size Daybed and Trundle with Metal Frame||Twin||$$$||4.3|
|3. Kodiak Best Futon Lounger Sit Lounge Sleep Smaller Size Furniture is Perfect||79 x 32 inches||$$$$||4.3|
|4. DHP Aria Futon, White||69 x 38 inches||$$||4.1|
|5. LUCID King / Twin XL Convertible Folding Foam Mattress-Sofa||King Twin XL||$$$||4.0|
|6. Divano Roma Furniture Collection - Modern Plush Tufted Linen Fabric Splitback Living Room Sleeper Futon||70 x 40 inches||$$$||3.9|
|7. DHP Rebecca Twin Size Daybed with Metal Frame (Black)||Twin||$$||3.8|
|8. Dorel Home Products Kebo Futon, Charcoal||69 x 38 inches||$$||3.8|
|9. Best Choice Products Leather Faux Fold Down Futon Lounge Convertible Sofa Bed Couch||71 x 41 inches||$$$||3.4|
|10. Intex Pull-out Sofa Inflatable Bed, 76" X 87" X 26", Queen||76 x 87 Queen||$||3.3|
What Features Do I Look For?
Sofa beds have a few basic features which you will need to give careful thought to before making a selection. Remember, this could be a sizable investment, so take your time and try to cover all the angles as you search for the most comfortable sofa bed.
- Mechanism. The open-and-close mechanism should work in fluid motion. If it sticks or squeaks, these could be signs of an underlying problem. A good feature is a lock down bar which allows you to close the unit securely and to open it easily.
- Mattress. Most sofa beds come with either an innerspring, memory foam or air-coil mattress. Whichever style you choose, it should be comfortable and offer sleepers adequate support. You can up its coziness by investing in a mattress pad to use with it.
- Sofa Bed Dimensions. Decide whether you need a sofa bed to sleep just one person or a couple. Single sleepers will (usually) be smaller – both as a sofa and as a bed. Before making a selection, ensure that you verify the unit’s sofa and bed dimensions.
- Available Space. Measure the space you’ve reserved for the sofa bed, bearing in mind that once opened, some sofa beds use up more space than an ordinary bed. Also consider that, quite often, items placed in front of the sofa will have to be moved before you open it up into a bed.
- Test Drive. Assess how it feels as a sofa (the way you will be using it most of the time) and as a bed. Sit, lie down, change positions, get up and get back in again. Operate the mechanism for yourself – is it user-friendly or too much of a hassle?
Top 3 Most Comfortable Sofa Bed Reviews
Sheer functionality would have got the Millard Tri-Fold to the top our list, but it turns out that this sofa bed option also got us hooked in terms of comfort. It also works very well in tight spaces and for tight budgets.
Folded up as a sofa, the Millard Tri-Fold raises you to 9 inches off the floor. As a bed, it is half that height at 4.5 inches. People for whom the most comfortable sofa bed is one with a firm mattress will really appreciate the Millard Tri-Fold. It doesn’t leave you aching all over after spending the night on it.
The mattress is made of CertiPUR-US certified high-density foam in a 3-D 100% polyester mesh cover. For convenience, the cover is zippered so that it can be removed and machine washed to keep it clean and hygienic.
Our only concern with the Millard Tri-Fold is portability. Yes, you can move it around but we feel a bit more thought could have gone into the number and placement of handles on this mattress.
There are two points that we must be clear about up front about this daybed and trundle combination. First, it does not come with the two twin size mattresses that you will need to use with it. Secondly, there is quite a bit of assembly required – nothing technical, and it’s easy enough if you work with the included instructions.
We really like the brushed bronze finish and overall look of this DHP Tokyo day bed once it’s assembled. Another plus is the convenience of having a pull-out trundle as a second sleeping space. That makes it a good option if you have overnight guests who are not a couple and might be uncomfortable sharing the same bed.
The frame and slats of the DHP Tokyo are metal, and the trundle is set on four metal casters for easy movement. The weight limits are quite generous, at 400 pounds for the daybed and 225 pounds for the trundle.
If you settle on getting the Kodiak Futon Lounger, then your next decision will be which one of the 26 fabric patterns to choose. We love the fact that this sofa bed comes with so many options, as it means you are more likely to find one that suits your décor.
The mattress is made with a mix of blended cotton and foam and is pretty comfortable once you give it a few days to plump up to it final height of about 6 inches. The frame on the Kodiak Futon Lounger is powder coated metal but the slats used as wood.
Versatility is one high point of this Kodiak futon as it goes very easily from sofa to lounger to bed and back again. People who are into softer sleeping surfaces might find it a little too firm for their tastes, but that can be amended with a real cushy comforter or mattress pad.