Unless you’ve got a garden that takes up just a few steps of space, those garden clippers aren’t going to cut it. Grass grows fast and manually cutting up those overgrown blades with handheld tools can take up a lot of time and eat up most of your energy. So for those with large lawns that need regular maintenance, a lawn mower proves to be a reasonable and practical investment.
These days, it’s no challenge to find a lawn mower. The real task is finding one that fits a tight budget. Now, if you’re in the market for a reliable lawn mower that you can buy without having to break the bank, check out our top 10 choices for the best lawn mower under 300 dollars and how you can choose one that’s perfect for you.
Top 10 Lawn Mowers Under $300 Table
|1. Troy-Bilt TB220 159cc 21-Inch FWD High Wheel Self-Propelled Lawn Mower||Self-propelled gas powered||4.2|
|2. Sun Joe MJ401C 14-Inch 28-Volt Cordless Push Lawn Mower||Cordless electric||4.2|
|3. Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower||Manual reel||4.2|
|4. GreenWorks 25223 G-MAX 40V 19-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower||Cordless electric||4.2|
|5. BLACK+DECKER CM2043C 40V Max Lithium Mower, 20"||Cordless electric||3.8|
|6. Yard Machines 140cc 20-Inch Push Mower||Walk behind gas powered||3.8|
|6. Poulan Pro 961120134 PR500N21SH Briggs 500ex Side Discharge/Mulch||Walk behind gas powered||3.6|
|8. WORX 14-Inch 24-Volt Cordless Lawn Mower with Easy-Start Feature||Cordless electric||3.6|
|9. Lawn-Boy 17732 21-Inch 6.5 Gross Torque Kohler XTX OHV||Self-propelled gas powered||3.4|
|10. Poulan Pro 961320101 PR550N21R3 Briggs 550 E Series Side Discharge/Mulch/Bag 3-in-1||Walk behind gas powered||3.2|
A Buyer’s Guide to Choosing a Lawn Mower
Even budget lawn mowers come in a variety of designs and models, so the price tag shouldn’t be the only thing you look at when you make a purchase. Now, what exactly makes a good lawn mower? These main considerations should help narrow down your options so you can find the best lawn mower under 300 dollars.
- Power Source. Lawn mowers come to life through a variety of power sources. Choosing the right one depends on the size of your lawn and your own personal preference.
- Manual Reel Mowers. Using no electricity or gas, these mowers feature blades that move mechanically as you push it over your yard. They’re ideal for small, flat yards, and are the mower of choice for energy and environment conscious users.
- Corded Electric Mowers. These mowers are plugged in to keep them running. They’re ideal for small yards with minimal to moderate inclines and bumps.
- Cordless Electric Mowers. No gas required, but these mowers are limited by the power that the rechargeable battery offers. For users with big yards, a single charge may not be enough to complete the mowing process.
- Walk Behind Gas Mowers. Powered by gas, these can be best for medium to large sized lawns that are relatively flat. The cutters under these mowers are much more powerful against tall weeds and grass, but the mower can be difficult to push.
- Self-Propelled Gas Mowers. Also working on gas, these powerful mowers have a mechanism that moves them forward so users don’t have to exert too much effort.
- Waste Management. It’s one thing to cut grass and a completely different thing to clean up after. While it is a lot cheaper to buy a lawn mower that just cuts your grass and weeds, other models that collect clippings and turn them into mulch can be much more beneficial and convenient.
- Efficiency. The very reason why people invest in lawn mowers is so that they can maintain their gardens and yards with the least possible effort. So one of the considerations you need to make when buying a lawn mower is its efficiency.
Essentially, three factors dictate the efficiency of a mower. These are cut width, cut height, and engine torque. Cut width pertains to the width of grass that the mower can cut in a single pass. The wider the cut width, the more lawn area you can target with each pass of your mower.
Cut height indicates the height of grass the mower leaves once it’s been cut. The shorter the grass left behind, the longer it will take before you need to cut your grass again.
Finally, engine torque pertains to the power of the blades. The more powerful the rotation of the blades, the more likely you’ll be able to cut down stubborn weeds without having to pass over the area multiple times.
Top 3 Best Lawn Mower Under $300 Reviews
A crowd favorite when it comes to budget lawn mowers is the Troy-Bilt TB220 159CC FWD Hi-Wheel Self-Propelled Lawn Mower. This self-propelled gas mower can cover 21 inches of grass in a single pass, which is ideal if you want to be able to get your lawn mowed fast.
The mower features an adjustable cut height that can achieve anywhere between 1.25 inches and 3.75 inches, so you can customize your grass height to suit your preferences. Clippings are also automatically collected and turned into mulch to be redistributed over your lawn to serve as fertilizer.
With four large, durable wheels, the Troy-Bilt TB220 159CC FWD Hi-Wheel Self-Propelled Lawn Mower is relatively easy to maneuver. Especially with its 159cc OHV engine, this mower is a steal considering its cost.
The second best lawn mower under 300 dollars is the Sun Joe MJ401C 28 Volt Cordless Push Lawn Mower. This cordless electric lawn mower cuts a width of 14 inches, which is an industry standard for similar mowers in the same segment.
The mower can be adjusted to cut a height anywhere between 1.18 inches and 2.52 inches, and is able to collect as much as 10.6 gallons of clippings. It can also turn clippings and leaves into mulch which you can use to help fertilize your lawn after mowing.
Finally, the Sun Joe MJ401C 28 Volt Cordless Push Lawn Mower can run for as long as 25 minutes on a single charge. While this can be ideal for small sized lawns, it may fall short with larger spaces.
Looking for something a little more energy saving? The Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower might be just for you. This affordable and eco-friendly option features a cut width of 18 inches, allowing you to address wider lanes of lawn in a shorter period of time.
In terms of cut height, the mower can be set to cut anywhere between 1 and 4 inches, giving you greater control over the results of your mowing. Using unique stay sharp technology, this mower requires far less maintenance than other options you’re likely to find.
The only drawback with this mower is that it can be a bit of a challenge to push especially if your lawn isn’t too flat.