Question: When is a king size pillow more than just a big bag of stuffing?
Answer: When it gives your head and neck the comfort and support you need for a full night of restful sleep.
Finding the best king size pillows is a bit tricky, though, since you can’t just take a bunch of them home to test for yourself. A good approach is to refer to dependable reviews like the ones we’ll be highlighting in our guide.
Rest your head a while and let our king size pillow guide you to the perfect pillows for catching those Zs.
What Are the Different Types of Fill for Pillows?
Many of us tend to give more consideration to the qualities of the bed’s mattress, sheets, and comforters than we do to the just-as-important pillows. Here are a few of the pillow fill options you will have to choose from:
- Memory Foam. This moldable material matches the contours of your body and gives you ample support minus any extra bulk.
- Buckwheat. These pillows offer superior comfort, and some are adjustable to the amount of resistance you require in your pillow.
- Gel-Fill. Although too soft some people, gel-fill pillows offer the convenience of being easy-to-clean, very supportive and typically hypoallergenic.
- Latex. Firmer than memory foam, these pillows are a good choice for people who tend not to change position as they sleep.
- Down. A down-filled pillow will definitely have a luxurious feel to it. Be mindful, though of down allergies and the extra expense of purchasing these pillows.
- Wool. These naturally regulate both temperature and humidity. They are a good option to try if you seem to have exhausted all the types available.
Top 10 King Size Pillows Chart
How Does Sleeping Position Affect Your Choice of the Best King Size Pillows?
Simply getting any pillow will not do, as the position, you sleep in has a lot to do with the type of king size pillow that will work best for you. It is definitely easier to take the time to select the right pillow than it is to try to change your sleeping position to match the pillow you bought!
- Side Sleepers. In this position, you will need a pillow that will resist flattening to keep your head and neck in alignment as you sleep. So, veer away from pillows made of down or polyester. Reach, instead, for firmer ones like those that feature latex or memory foam. Contoured pillows are also good options for side sleepers.
- Back Sleepers. Maintaining the natural curve of your neck is very important regardless of your sleeping position. Back sleepers can best get that support from pillows that are medium-high and medium-firm. Look, too, for pillows made of latex, memory foam or a suitable down alternative.
- Front Sleepers. Go for thin, soft, squishy pillows as they will give your neck and head the best support in this position. Try to avoid firmer or higher pillows as they can lead to neck strain for people who like to sleep on their stomachs.
- Combination Sleepers. Buckwheat pillows or pillows made from a combination of materials may prove to be the best king size pillows for you. They will allow you to find a soft section here and a firm section there each time you switch positions.
Top 3 Best King Size Pillows Reviews
This adjustable Zen pillow is full and firm on delivery which may suit some sleepers while others may find it a bit too much. That’s why we like the pillow’s zippered enclosure which allows for easy fill removal, letting you customize the pillow by sizing it down – very convenient.
That convenience, however, brings us to one possibly bothersome trait. The pieces of shredded memory foam must be handled with care as they are small, light and end up ALL over. Once you’re done, though, what you have is a pillow that exactly matches your personal preferences in both height and firmness.
Another feature which helps to set this Zen pillow up as our choice for best king size pillows is the cover material. It is made of a micro fiber and bamboo blend fabric for extra smoothness and softness. Also, the cover can be removed; machine washed and replaced to help you keep your pillow as hygienic as possible.
A 90-day refund guarantee and a whopping 20-year warranty speak volumes about how this manufacturer feels about the quality of its product. After checking out this Snuggle-Pedic pillow, we can see why.
The pillow’s fill is a blend of Biogreen® and CertiPUR-US® Certified foam while its breathable cover is a bamboo, polyester and lycra blend. The entire pillow is certified free of harmful chemicals.
A nice customer service touch that needs mentioning is the offer of free personal customization (including free shipping) that comes with the Snuggle-Pedic pillow. One other thing we appreciate about the Snuggle-Pedic is that the entire pillow is machine washable.
First off, we like that this fade-resistant Sleep Restoration pillow is also resistant to stains. That means it will keep looking like new and once cleaned it, should remain clean for quite a while. The second thing to impress us is how you can toss the whole pillow into your washing machine. You can ruin many pillows by doing this, but not the Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow!
We found that this pillow’s no-shift construction allows it to retain its shape so sleepers can remain at their chosen height and firmness level without the pillow fill clumping. If you are frustrated with having to constantly fluff your pillow throughout the night, then you should give the Sleep Restoration Gel Pillow a try.